Thursday, July 5, 2012

Super-Mom

As I settle back into my “normal” life (home with my husband and dog instead of my parents…and other dog), I wanted to post a quick shout-out to one wonderful lady: my mom! Her birthday is today, but she deserves a shout-out every day of the year.

Mama and me on the Fourth of July

I already knew my mom was awesome, of course, but this past week I learned that she is also an excellent and experienced post-surgery nurse! (My brother is a professional soccer player and went under the knife several times in college, so this is, oh, kid surgery #5 for her?) No matter how old you are, nobody takes care of you like your mom, and I can’t even express how grateful I am to her for keeping me company this past week — carrying my stuff while I butt-crawled up the stairs, keeping track of my ridiculous pill regimen, and just making sure I was as comfortable and relaxed as possible. Plus, she cooks like a boss. I once read that you shouldn’t restrict your calorie intake for a month after surgery because your body uses a lot of energy to heal itself. I don’t think that will be a problem for me…

Love you, Mama! Happy birthday!

Aaand a quick ankle update to round out this post: In just three days, I’ve already noticed improvements in my range of motion and my incision. (The large bruise by my arch is fading quickly.) When I walk I feel a sensation of stretching where my stitches are, which is a little creepy but normal, I’m told. I’m working on walking in just my boot and will hopefully be crutch-free in the next couple of days. My next appointment is Monday, so I’ll post another update then!

No comments:

Post a Comment