Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Blessed.

Three months ago, my foot looked like this:


Today, it looks like this:


"You know, there are creams you can put on that," my mom told me this summer. But for once, I'm OK with being imperfect — I don't want to hide my flaws or deny that they are part of who I am. For the rest of my life, I will dance with a skinny red scar that reminds me I am human...that sometimes I break and need to be stitched back together. The process isn't without pain, tears, and frustration. But it is teaching me so much about who I am and who I can become. You don't know how brave you can be until it's the only choice you have if you want to move forward.

Tonight, I'm giving thanks for new beginnings, everyday angels, broken roads that lead us exactly where we're meant to be, and a scar that will never let me forget.

5 comments:

  1. This gives me so much hope. After almost a year of misdiagnosis, (I also originally was thought to have tendonitis,) finally a few months ago I was diagnosed with that stupid bone. I'm going to have surgery, and your posts are seriously making me feel so much better <3 Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lexie! I wrote this blog as the kind of story I wanted to read before my own surgery, so I'm glad to hear it's served its purpose and has been helpful to you. Thank you for reading and commenting, and good luck with your surgery and recovery! Please let me know if you ever have questions along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is amazing. After 4 years of misdiagnosis eventually I found a doctor who understood and correctly diagnosed my problem! This blog is extremely insightful, and has helped me a great deal during my recovery process so far!

    Thank you so much for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment made my day! I'm glad my blog has been helpful to you. Thank you so much for reading, and all the best with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! 15 year old male ballet dancer here with severe impingement problems in both the front and back of each ankle. This seemed to develop after a 7 week intensive, and I've been told that my talus bones are pushed forward slightly. I was wondering what the symptoms are for having os trigonum, because I've tried everything in physical therapy and no one can offer an explanation for my pain! They've told me that sickling in tendu and eleve could be causing (or at least exacerbating) the talus misplacement, but I'm beginning to expect something else is going on. I've pushed for x-rays but to no avail.... any advice?

    ReplyDelete