Friday, June 29, 2012

Be Awesome Instead


I had a feeling the last few days were too good to be true. Minimal pain, no nausea, and a good night’s sleep the second night after surgery? Seriously? Well, at 2:30 a.m. today I woke up with a horrible stomachache and spent the next eight hours miserable and sick. There is nothing that feels more pathetic than being 26 years old, throwing up the entire contents of your stomach, and calling for your mom to come pick you up off the bathroom floor because you can’t stand up on your own.

I called the doctor’s office as soon as they opened, and they suggested stopping my prescription painkiller (it’s about time to phase that out, anyway) and seeing if Aleve and extra-strength Tylenol are enough to keep the pain in check. So far, so good. I slept for most of the day and have been trying to refuel on Gatorade and crackers — being so sick made me feel weak and exhausted. I butt-crawled up the stairs to get dressed around noon, and just doing that completely drained my energy.

I’ve actually slept a lot since surgery, period — the prescription pain pills made me tired, and I’ve been having a hard time staying awake through any of the books and movies I brought with me! I hope this means my body is dedicating all of its energy to healing. Plus, I find inspiration in the words of Barney Stinson a Greek philosopher, who once said, “Whenever I start feeling sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.”

So, it's been a rough day, but I’m hanging in there! My surgeon called Wednesday afternoon to see how I’m doing and suggested that I try to put weight on my right foot (with crutches) starting Thursday. I was able to walk around for a little bit yesterday before heading back to the comfort of my cryocuff, AKA my new best friend. I’ve been keeping up with my exercises and cryocuff the best I can with my crazy sleep schedule, and hopefully by my one-week follow-up appointment on Monday I will be putting weight on my foot more or possibly using just one crutch. 

Until the next update, a few pictures:

What I wake up to! Fact: chocolate and peanut butter treats speed healing by 50%.
 
The sweetest get-well card from my favourite Brit, Kate!

My route to the couch, blocked by the alpha beagle. (This was taken yesterday...ain't no one going to see my sad self today!)

1 comment: