Sunday, June 17, 2012

Tales of an Os Trigonum (Or, Why Does My Right Foot Suck?)

If you’ve read my first post and are wondering, “What the #$%^ is an os trigonum? I’ve never heard of that,” you’re not alone. I had no idea I had an extra bone hanging out in my ankle — or that it had a name — for a year and a half after it started causing problems. One of my friends asked, “An extra bone? How is that even possible?”

Here’s a quick briefing from my non-medical-expert perspective: Around 5-10% of people have an os trigonum, a small accessory bone in the back of the ankle. Most of them will never know it’s there or experience any issues because of it. The lucky few who do include ballet dancers and soccer players — athletes who repeatedly point their toes downward (and, in a dancer’s case, put weight on their foot in this position).

This is sometimes called a “nutcracker injury” because the os trigonum is crunched like a nut in a nutcracker between the ankle and heel bones, and the tissues around it become irritated and painful. Can any other dancers appreciate the irony?

(Source: foothealthfacts.org)

For me, the fun started back in the summer of 2010. I was barefoot and doing releves in the bathroom (naturally) when I noticed that my right heel wasn’t as high off the ground as my left. I didn’t feel any pain, but thought it was strange that my range of motion seemed to have changed for no reason.

That fall, when Nutcracker rehearsals started and my time on pointe increased, I began feeling a tendonitis-like pain on the inside and deep in the back of my ankle. By the time Nutcracker was over, my ankle was so stiff and sore that I could barely point and flex my foot. (How did I get through a full-length ballet like that, you ask? Stage magic, my friends. And gobs of extra-strength Tiger Balm.)

In short, over the next year and a half, this cycle continued. I saw an orthopedics/sports medicine doctor, who diagnosed posterior tibial and Achilles tendonitis, and tried the following treatments: rest (at least a month off ballet, several times), physical therapy, ice, heat, walking boot, Graston technique, two prescription anti-inflammatories, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Left foot: Not a crazy banana foot, but it'll do.

Right foot: See how high the ball of my foot is, compared to the left? For a dancer, this can make the difference between being on pointe and...not.
By this spring, I had grown frustrated at the way I continued to grow stronger in ballet and improve my technique, but only on one side. I felt confident holding long balances on pointe, doing double pirouettes and fouettes, etc. on the left, but struggled just to get to full pointe on the right. At home, I was also working with a Theraband to stretch and strengthen my feet, and my right just seemed to get “stuck” while my left kept improving. While pretty much every dancer has a better side, the difference in range of motion and stability was so pronounced that I started to realize that something more significant than tendonitis might be going on.

To be continued! (Not to be dramatic, really. Just because this post is getting a little long for a world with a 140-character attention span.)

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad I found this blog!!! I am only on entry two and it is wonderful. My son has this issue, it flared up in spring 2012 and he was out of soccer from May until sept. (he is a goalie, so he is pointing the foot a lot for kicks). We thought all was fine until it flared up horribly last week. We go to teh ortho tomorrow and I am worried about surgery. Thank you for sharing so I can read what you have been through! And as you said, it is hard to find info on something that such a small percent of the population has!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Deb,
    Thank you for your comment and for reading my blog! I'm sorry your son is dealing with OT pain. It's interesting that he's a soccer player because I know that's one of the few groups (along with dancers) for whom OT pain can be a major issue. Actually, the first person who suggested that my issues might be connected to an os trigonum is a friend who's an athletic trainer for a college soccer team - a couple of his players have had the surgery and had very good outcomes. Sending good vibes for your appointment with the surgeon, and if you have any questions that my blog didn't answer, please let me know!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I've just started to get plugged into the internet blogging communioty of dancers who've had their os trigonum's removed, as I have one that's been causing me pain when I dance since Feb 2013 and last october it started distubing me in other things liek if i went cycling or even just walking around. Climbing stairs is a nightmare some days and pointe is out of the question for my right foot at the moment. I can sustain my pointe work on my left foot but obviously it's still dangerous to be doing pointe work if i keep falling off my right. Surgery has been suggested as a possibility and I just really want to thank you for doing this blog because it makes me feel soooo much better about the prospect of surgery. The alternatives my physio gave me were the NHS's general attitude to dnacers with OS Trig issues- surgery or stop dancing. And as the latter is NOT a possibility, I've decided to look into surgery. So yes, thank you! -Frankie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you event have the surgery? I'm having pain even when I walk or take spinning classes. It's been going on for over two years but I finally know my diagnosis ? Is surgery worth the outcome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, I did have the surgery and blogged throughout the recovery process. (I'm guessing you landed on this post from a search engine.) Check out my posts from late June-December 2012 for my thoughts on the surgery and the outcome. I can only speak to my own experience, of course, but it was absolutely worth it for me. Good luck, and please let me know if you have questions!

      Kristen

      Delete
  5. Hi Kristen. I have had these bones in my feet for many many years and at time I was supposed to get surgery I was pregnant. Then after that the doctors would not say that I had them. Dealing with Medicaid and feet issues of this magnitude it is hopeless. After 30 years of sever pain and treating me for everything in the book yesterday I saw a doctor that finally showed me how large the os trigonums are in my feet. Again they gave me another treatment. I just had to quit my Zumba job because of it and I guess I am angry that no one will acknowledge that this has been the problem and years of foot doctors. I wish they would have let me get the surgery years ago so I would not have to be disabled. I am so happy that you had the luck of getting better insurance and having your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to read your article! I am looking forward to sharing your adventures and experiences. "os trigonum"

    ReplyDelete
  7. To acquire the best results for your bones and joint problems, do visit Kalyan Hospital. It is considered as The Number One Bone Hospital in Ludhiana. Click on the link for more details.

    ReplyDelete